جديد

Camano AG-130 - التاريخ

Camano AG-130 - التاريخ


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

كامانو

جزيرة قبالة ولاية واشنطن.

(AG-130: dp.620؛ 1. 177 '؛ b. 33'؛ dr. 10 '؛ s. 13 k .؛
cpl. 26 ؛ cl. كامانو)

تم بناء Camano (AG-130) في عام 1944 بواسطة Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp. ، لونج آيلاند ، نيويورك ؛ حصلت على اسم الجيش FS-256 في أبرا ، غوام ، في 16 يوليو 1947 ؛ وكلف في نفس اليوم الملازم (صغار) جيه ج دالي في القيادة.

بعد الانتهاء من تحويلها في 8 أكتوبر 1947 ، بدأت كامانو في نقل البضائع والركاب من غوام إلى جزر كارولين. تم إعادة تصنيفها AKL-1 ، 31 مارس 1949. في 2 يونيو 1949 أبحرت إلى بيرل هاربور لإجراء إصلاح شامل ، ثم استأنفت الخدمة في غوام في 24 سبتمبر وبقيت هناك ، باستثناء عملية إصلاح أخرى في بيرل هاربور ، حتى 26 يوليو 1951 عندما خرجت من الخدمة ونقلها إلى وزارة الداخلية. عاد كامانو إلى البحرية في 22 ديسمبر 1952.


HistoryLink.org

يقع ستانوود في شمال غرب مقاطعة سنوهوميش عند مصب القناة القديمة لنهر ستيلاجاميش. تقع معظم المدينة على دلتا النهر وفي السنوات الأخيرة بدأت تنمو إلى الشرق فوق سهل الفيضان للنهر. إنها المركز التجاري لسكان جزيرة كامانو في مقاطعة الجزيرة إلى الغرب وسكان وادي النهر شرق الطريق السريع 5 وشمال محمية تولاليب. تم تقسيم المدينة في عام 1888 وتم دمجها في عام 1903. وهناك مجتمع ثان ، "إيست ستانوود" ، الذي يقع على بعد ميل واحد شرق منطقة الأعمال التجارية على الواجهة البحرية ، تم ترصيعه في عام 1906 وتم دمجه في عام 1922. العديد من مصانع الألواح الخشبية الصغيرة في المناطق المحيطة. تم شحن التبن والشوفان من مزارع الوادي على قوارب بخارية كمحاصيل نقدية. مع إغلاق مصانع الأخشاب في الثلاثينيات ، نما الاقتصاد الزراعي. بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية ، تغيرت شركة Twin City Foods من مصنع تعليب إلى مصنع تجميد وتوسعت على طول الواجهة البحرية. تم توحيد ستانوود وإيست ستانوود في عام 1960. واليوم ، 2008 ، لا تزال المدينة محاطة بحقول المزارع ، والشواطئ الغنية بالحياة البرية ، وإطلالات على الألعاب الأولمبية والشلالات - جذابة كمجتمع صغير به العديد من الأصول الطبيعية والاقتصادية ومع العديد من الأشخاص الذين يشاركون في مساعدتها على النمو والتغيير بشكل معقول.

بدايات ستانوود

بدأت مستوطنة ستانوود حوالي عام 1866 بالقرب من مصب نهر ستيلاغاميش وسميت لأول مرة بسنترفيل. كان هناك صالون ومركز تجاري يخدم المزارعين وقاطعي الأشجار الذين كانوا يرفعون مطالباتهم في اتجاه النهر وفي دلتا النهر. كان لشعب ساحل ساليش من قبيلة ستيلاجاميش معسكرًا بالقرب من موقع أول مركز تجاري وقرى أخرى في أعلى النهر وعلى طول الخط الساحلي لميناء سوزان. كلمة ستيلاغاميش تعني "أهل النهر". كانت المجموعات القبلية المجاورة هي Kikiallus في كونواي وجزيرة كامانو ، وشعب Skagit وشعب Snohomish في الجنوب ، من بين عدة آخرين. غالبًا ما كانوا ، رجالًا ونساءً ، مهمين في نقل المستوطنين الأوائل وممتلكاتهم إلى كل منطقة في Puget Sound باستخدام مهاراتهم في التجديف.

بالكاد يعرف الزوار والمقيمون الجدد النهر الذي كان الرابط التجاري للمزارعين الجدد والشركات في وادي نهر ستيلاغاميش السفلي. لكن يمكنهم رؤيته من بعيد وهم يركبون فوق الجسر على طريق الولاية 532. في أيامه الأولى ، كان النهر واسعًا بما يكفي للسماح للقوارب البخارية بالتنقل في طريقه المتعرج عبر شواطئه على بعد ستة أميال من النهر إلى فلورنسا ، موقع فلورنسا. مجتمع نهر آخر مبكر. لا يزال الجزء الأقدم من ستانوود بالقرب من النهر يحتوي على العديد من المباني القديمة - تم بناء عدد قليل منها بعد وقت قصير من تسجيل عام 1888 بلات ستانوود.

تم إنشاء مكتب البريد وتعيين Centerville في عام 1870 وأصبح ذلك الاسم الأول لمركز تجاري صغير عند مصب النهر. وصل البريد عبر أوتسالادي على الإطلاق أو لم تكن القوارب البخارية بالزورق خدمة منتظمة بعد. في عام 1873 ، تم نقل مكتب البريد إلى منزل سكني على الساحل الشمالي لنهر ستيلاغاميش إلى فندق حيث تقع الآن شركة Twin City Foods Company. بعد أربع سنوات ، في عام 1877 ، وصل د.أو بيرسون (1846-1929) برأس مال وسلع لمتجر بقيمة 4000 دولار (ويتفيلد ، المجلد ص 490). كما قام ببناء رصيف ليتيح لزورق بخاري أن يرسو على طول نهر ستيلاغاميش. أصبح سادس مدير مكتب بريد خلال سبع سنوات. كما أعطى بيرسون البلدة اسمًا أقل شيوعًا - اسم زوجته كلارا قبل الزواج ، "ستانوود". جاء بيرسون ووالده وأمه وأخواته إلى بوجيه ساوند في رحلات ميرسر واستقروا في جزيرة ويدبي.

في نفس الوقت تقريبًا وصل اثنان من المستوطنين النرويجيين البارزين ، أوليفر ب.إيفرسون (1845-1940) والقس كريستيان يورجنسون (1847-1929) الذين شجعوا بدورهم الأقارب والأصدقاء على الهجرة والزراعة أو العمل في معسكرات قطع الأشجار . كان O. B. Iverson مساحًا وأصبح مشرعًا إقليميًا. ترك روايات مكتوبة عن استكشافه للمنطقة. جاء كريستيان يورجنسون إلى المجتمع كوزير لوثري وعمل لاحقًا لمدة عامين كمفوض مقاطعة سنوهوميش ، وكان أحد مؤسسي جمعية ستانوود التعاونية للكريمة من بين العديد من الإنجازات الأخرى. كتب ابنه ، جوستاف ، سلسلة واسعة من المقالات في أخبار مدينة التوأم التي ظهرت في عامي 1848 و 1949. كان كلا الرجلين مؤثرين في جلب الأصدقاء والأقارب النرويجيين إلى المنطقة.

لجعل الزراعة ممكنة ، تم تطهير الأرض وبناء السدود على طول السدود والنهر. في ثمانينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، حاصرت معسكرات قطع الأشجار منطقة وادي نهر ستيلاجاميش. كان المزارعون يزرعون التبن والشوفان مقابل المال. كان لدى البعض مزارع كبيرة بها العديد من الماشية ولكن لديهم جميعًا عدد قليل من الأبقار والدجاج وأشجار الفاكهة والتوت ونجوا لأنهم كانوا قادرين على القيام بهذا العمل الشاق. كان البعض أيضًا من الحطابين أو رجال المطاحن الذين استقروا بعد إغلاق الطاحونة في أوتسالادي بجزيرة كامانو في عام 1891.

حكاية بلدتين

في عام 1891 ، كانت سكة حديد سياتل ومونتانا (التي تسيطر عليها مصالح السكك الحديدية الشمالية الكبرى) تدير مساراتها على بعد ميل واحد شرق بلدة ستانوود بلات وأنشأت مستودعًا هناك يربط الوادي مع بيلينجهام في الشمال وسياتل إلى الجنوب. لم يكن هذا مناسبًا لشحن الحبوب أو القوباء المنطقية التي تم توجيهها نحو استخدام النقل المائي ، وبالنسبة لبعض رجال الأعمال في ستانوود ، كان هذا يعتبر بمثابة نكسة. على الرغم من تجاوز خط السكة الحديد ، حريق في عام 1892 دمر 13 مبنى في ستانوود ، وكساد وطني ، بدأت المنطقة تنمو ببطء. بحلول عام 1895 ، بدأت شركة ستانوود التعاونية كريميري وشيدت مبناها على المرتفعات شرق المستودع ، وبدأت قصة المدينتين ، ستانوود وإيست ستانوود.

في عام 1898 ، تم إنشاء فرايداي فيش كانيري على الواجهة البحرية. كانت قصيرة العمر ولكنها كانت دفعة كبيرة للمعنويات المحلية. كان الحدث الأكثر تأثيرًا هو الأموال من المشاريع في كلوندايك جولد راش عام 1898. ذهب العديد من رجال ستانوود إلى ألاسكا ومن هناك إلى كلوندايك وعادوا بوسائل لشراء المزارع أو الاستثمار في الأعمال التجارية.

بعد خمس سنوات ، في عام 1903 ، تم تأسيس بلدة ستانوود وشركة ستانوود للأخشاب. تقع شركة Stanwood Lumber عند مصب النهر حيث يتفرع النهر شمالًا إلى خليج Skagit وجنوبًا إلى Port Susan. ارتبطت بالمصنع شركة الازدهار التي تعاملت مع جذوع الأشجار المتساقطة على النهر. شرق الطاحونة كان مخزن الحبوب. بالقرب من المستودع (شرق ستانوود المستقبلي على بعد ميل واحد شرقًا) ، قام اتحاد الشعب بتشغيل متجر عام وسوق للحوم. تم افتتاح القاعة الجديدة في عام 1904.

في عام 1904 ، تم تأسيس بنك ستانوود وتم إنشاء شركة H & H للسكك الحديدية. للاستفادة من Great Northern ، تم إنشاء H & H Railroad لربط مطاحن ستانوود والركاب بالمستودع على بعد ميل واحد شرقًا. غالبًا ما يُطلق عليه اسم Hall & Hall ، تم تشغيل خط H & H للسكك الحديدية بواسطة John W. Hall (1870-1931) وزوجته Alice ، ثم ابنه Jesse لاحقًا. قاموا بتشغيل Stanwood Feed and Livery الذي يوفر خدمة النقل من وإلى المستودع وفي السنوات الأولى قاموا أيضًا بتشغيل ترام. غالبًا ما كان يُشار إلى محرك السكة الحديد بمودة باسم "Dinky". خلال الثلاثينيات من القرن الماضي ، حققت بعض الشهرة باعتبارها "أقصر خط سكة حديد في العالم" (Essex ، v. 1 ، 25 ، 26 ، 62 ، 92-93 ضد 2 ، 110). مع إتش سي أندرسون (1865-1914) كمستثمر رئيسي وشركة ستانوود لامبر كعميل رئيسي مبكر لها ، نقلت الركاب والمنتجات بين ستانوود والمستودع الشمالي العظيم في شرق ستانوود. في بعض الأحيان يستخدمه أطفال المدارس للوصول إلى المدرسة. بشرت حسابات الأخبار بجزء H & H من العصر الحديث لعربة الترام التي بدأت في أجزاء أخرى من مقاطعة سنوهوميش. بدأ هذا السكة الحديدية الصغيرة بمحرك بخاري وعربة مستعملة في عام 1905 واستمر حتى الثلاثينيات. غيرت المحركات ولم تنقل الركاب في سنواتها الأخيرة. في أواخر العشرينات والثلاثينيات من القرن الماضي ، اعتمد تشغيلها على احتياجات المصانع.

ظلت الواجهة البحرية مهمة لسنوات عديدة كموقع لمطحنتين كبيرتين وموقع مخزن الحبوب. عُرفت لاحقًا باسم شركة ستانوود للحبوب التي توسطت في إنتاج الحبوب للمزارعين عند شحنها للخارج ، وانتقلت الشركة إلى موقع المستودع حوالي عام 1914. وحوالي عام 1941 ، أصبحت شركة توين سيتي غرين. اليوم (2008) لا تزال شركة Wolfkill Feed and Fertilizer Company تشغل مصعد الحبوب في هذا الموقع.

ايرفين سلاو وهاملتون ستاك

على الطرف الشرقي من الواجهة البحرية ، دخلت Irvine Slough النهر. تم تسميته على اسم John Irvine الذي كان لديه مزرعة والمخزن العام الثاني في Stanwood بالقرب من مصب السلو. في الأيام الأولى ، كانت السلاجة تحمل جذوع الأشجار والصنادل من المرتفعات ومطحنة الألواح الخشبية في شرق ستانوود. بالقرب من مصب هذا المنحدر ، تم إنشاء المطحنة الكبيرة الثانية في الموقع المحيط بـ "Hamilton Stack" الحالي حيث كانت هناك سلسلة من مصانع الألواح الخشبية الصغيرة من ثمانينيات القرن التاسع عشر إلى عام 1916. في عام 1916 ، جورج كونز (توفي عام 1922) أكملت شركة Wisconsin Timber Co. طاحونة جديدة بمساحة 160.000 قدم مربع مع أربعة أفران جافة كبيرة مقاومة للحريق في هذا الموقع. في عام 1923 ، تم شراء المصنع وتشغيله من قبل شركة Clough Lumber Co.

قام كلوف ببناء "مكدس هاميلتون" في عام 1927 لرفع الدخان من النفايات المحترقة حتى لا ينفجر في المدينة. لا يزال معلمًا رئيسيًا ، مزينًا بشكل موسمي بأضواء من قبل متطوعين من Lion’s Club و Fire Department. توقف المصنع عن العمل في أوائل ثلاثينيات القرن الماضي ، ثم استحوذت عائلة هاملتون على العقار في حوالي عام 1945. وهم يديرون شركة الأخشاب الحالية بهذا الاسم وحتى عام 1960 كان لديهم أيضًا مصنع صغير. كانت المطحنة في هذا الموقع تعاني من الحرائق باستمرار ، مما أدى إلى تدمير محاولات الترقية حتى الستينيات عندما تم إغلاقها تحسباً لطريق الولاية الجديد رقم 532 المقترح عبر المنطقة. تم تحويل السلو في ذلك الوقت لدخول النهر إلى الشرق من خلال أنابيب تصريف محطة الضخ.

شرق ستانوود البدايات

في شرق ستانوود ، بعد إنشاء اتحاد الناس ، بدأ المجتمع في النمو ببطء. عند عودته من تعدين الذهب في عام 1904 ، اشترى فرانسيس جيار (1872-1956) مزرعته شرق ستانوود وزرع الفاكهة والتوت على ما يُعرف حاليًا بالأرض الواقعة شرق مركز قطر للمال إلى قرية فايكنغ. كان شريكًا مبكرًا لبنك ستانوود. في عام 1906 ، سجل صفيحة إيست ستانوود المجاورة للمستودع وشرق مزرعته الكبيرة.

في عام 1922 ، أصبحت إيست ستانوود مدينة مدمجة مع جيار كأول عمدة لها. في عام 1907 ، وصل الوافد الجديد نسبيًا ، كارل ج. جوندرسون (1876-1976). بعد عامين في Cedarhome ، أصبح مدير متجر People’s Union Store. كان له دور فعال في إنشاء People’s Bank في عام 1910 ، والذي أصبح فيما بعد مصرف State Bank of East Stanwood.

الطرق وشق الطرق

في عام 1906 ، تم تنظيم الفرع المحلي لجمعية الطرق الجيدة بواشنطن لتعزيز بناء الطرق. تم إنشاء الطريق المؤدية إلى جزيرة كامانو عندما تم بناء الجسر في عام 1909. في ذلك الوقت ، تم تمهيد ميل الطريق بين ستانوود وإيست ستانوود (271 شارع شمال غرب) بأول أرصفة صلبة من الطوب المزجج وضعت في مقاطعة سنوهوميش. تم وضع أول ميل تجريبي من الرصيف الخرساني في العام التالي ، 1914 ، من ستانوود شمالًا باتجاه مقاطعة سكاجيت ، الآن 102 Ave NW. كان في ذلك الوقت الطريق السريع الرئيسي.

كانت مراحل السيارات (المواصلات العامة في الأيام الأولى) متصلة بعربات الترام في إيفريت وجبل فيرنون وكان على السيارات المرور عبر ستانوود. في عشرينيات القرن الماضي ، تم بناء طريق المحيط الهادئ السريع ، متجاوزًا ستانوود شرق المستودع. لا يزال هناك قسمان متبقيان من هذه الطرق القديمة المبنية من الطوب يضيفان طابعًا فريدًا وإحساسًا فريدًا بالمكان للمجتمع المتنامي.

شرق ستانوود

مع تحسينات الطريق ، يمكن أن ينمو شرق ستانوود. في عام 1912 ، بدأت شركة Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company عملها في ستانوود على الواجهة البحرية ولكن في عام 1914 انتقلت إلى منشأة معالجة جديدة على سفح التل فوق خطوط السكك الحديدية. كانت منشأة تبلغ مساحتها 35000 قدم مربع لتعقيم وتعليب الحليب من المزارعين في المنطقة. بعد عام غيرت اسمها إلى حليب القرنفل. في نهاية المطاف ، أصبح هذا المرفق مصنعًا لتعليب الخضار يقع على جانب التل شرق خطوط السكك الحديدية ، وهو مناسب للشحن بالسكك الحديدية. إنه الآن بمثابة مرفق تخزين بارد.

في نفس العام ، 1914 ، تم إنشاء مكتب بريد إيست ستانوود وبدأت المدينة في الظهور بمفردها. عندما تم الانتهاء من مبنى المدرسة الثانوية بجوار مدرسة نورث ستريت في ستانوود ، اجتذب الطلاب من المجتمعات المحيطة في إيست ستانوود وجزيرة كامانو وسيدارهوم وفلورنسا ونورمان. كان موقع هذه المدرسة مثيرًا للجدل لأن العديد من سكان شرق ستانوود فضلوا رؤيتها في موقع أكثر مركزية. تم إبرام صفقة لوضعها بين "المدينتين" ، لكن ذلك فشل. استمر الاستياء من هذا الأمر حتى بعد دمج إيست ستانوود رسميًا وشكلت منطقتها التعليمية الخاصة بعد أشهر قليلة فقط. في عام 1922 ، تم إصدار سندات بقيمة 8000 دولار لبناء مدرسة ابتدائية من غرفتين على أرض تم الحصول عليها من بيتر هينينج (1868-1955) على التل شرق المستودع. بحلول عام 1925 ، تم تخصيص مدرسة لينكولن ذات أسلوب المهمة. هذا المبنى هو الآن مركز كبار السن المحلي.

المدن التوأم تصبح مدينة واحدة

على مر السنين ، اكتسب المجتمعان الاسم المألوف ، "المدن التوأم". خلال ذلك الوقت ، أشار "ستانوود" إلى المنطقة الواقعة على الواجهة البحرية. بعد عام 1910 ، بدأ النهر يتطلب إزالة العوائق والتجريف حتى يتم ملاحته بأمان. تراجعت الواجهة البحرية حيث انخفضت القوارب البخارية باعتبارها وسيلة نقل قابلة للتطبيق. مع إزالة الاختناقات ، تحول التدفق الرئيسي للنهر تدريجيًا إلى ميناء سوزان عبر قناة هات سلاو. النهر الذي كان يومًا عميقًا بما يكفي لاستخدام البواخر يُعتبر الآن أكثر قليلاً من مجرى المد والجزر.

في عام 1918 ، تم إنشاء شركة Lien Bros. Packing Co. على الواجهة البحرية الواقعة بين المطاحن. كانت هذه هي شركة التعليب السابقة لشركة Twin City Foods. ، Inc. الحالية ، التي أصبحت صاحب عمل رئيسي لتحل محل المطاحن على الواجهة البحرية عند إغلاقها. كان ربط السكك الحديدية لا يزال ضروريًا ، لذا قامت شركة Twin City Foods ببناء خط سكة حديد خاص بها شمال المدينة. وهي اليوم واحدة من أبرز منشآت معالجة الخضروات المجمدة ذات العلامات التجارية الخاصة في البلاد.

تم توحيد المدينتين في عام 1960 بعد سنوات من التنافس المعقد حول القضايا المدرسية والمصالح التجارية وربما تضارب الشخصيات. كان النهر شخصية رئيسية في الدراما عندما تجاوزت السكة الحديد الواجهة البحرية وكلما غمرت المياه. أخيرًا ، أجبرت تكاليف توفير الأشغال العامة المدينتين على التوحيد.

بعد الاندماج في عام 1960 ، أصبحت الواجهة البحرية شبه منسية. تطور جديد كان يحدث في شرق ستانوود وبين المدن. في العقد التالي ، تجاوز طريق الولاية 532 الطريق السريع القديم عبر المدينة إلى جزيرة كامانو. تم بناء الطريق الجديد على مستوى عالٍ بما يكفي ليكون بمثابة سد لتحويل المياه ومنعها من تهديد المدينة باستثناء الأحداث ذات مستوى المياه الأعلى ، لكن السكان المحيطين ما زالوا يعانون. على الرغم من أن ستانوود لم تغمره المياه منذ عام 1959 ، إلا أن التهديد لا يزال مستمراً. توثق الصور المبكرة الفيضانات التي عانى منها سكان البلدة والمزارعون بروح الدعابة - حتى أنهم قدروا الطمي الغني الذي شعروا بتخصيب حقولهم. ومع ذلك فهي تعمل على تذكير المجتمع بوجوده المحفوف بالمخاطر.

كانت حدود مدينة ستانوود 1،961 شخصًا فقط في تعداد عام 1990. في عام 2005 ، كان لديها 4580. لم يبدأ التطوير التجاري والسكني الجديد حتى التسعينيات بضم الأرض إلى الشرق وفوق السهول الفيضية على التل ، بداية مرحلة ثالثة من تاريخ ستانوود.

تقاطع 270th Ave NW (الشارع الرئيسي) و 102nd Ave NW (Market Street) مع الشارع الأصلي المبني من الطوب ، ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1935

تصوير جيه بويد إليس ، بإذن من جمعية منطقة ستانوود التاريخية (SAHS 2002.109.10)

خريطة ستانوود ووادي نهر Stillaguamish السفلي ، بدون تاريخ.

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود

قسم من الخريطة تم رسمه للمزارعين ، وادي نهر ستيلاجاميش السفلي ، سنترفيل (لاحقًا ستانوود) ، 1873

بإذن من جمعية منطقة ستانوود التاريخية (SAHS 95.139.09)

الزورق الهندي على الواجهة البحرية في ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1910

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 94.32.06)

اجتمعت عائلة بيرسون لحضور حفل زفاف أمام D. O. Pearson House ، ستانوود ، 1907

تصوير جون تي واغنيس ، المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 92.07.02b)

D. O. Pearson House (1890)، 12108102nd Avenue NW، Stanwood، 1920

تصوير جون تي واجنيس ، جمعية ستانوود التاريخية ومكتبة إيفريت العامة

مستودع السكك الحديدية الشمالية الكبرى ، ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1910

بإذن من جمعية منطقة ستانوود التاريخية (SAHS 88.06.174.02)

ال جلينر (1907) ، ستانوود ووترفرونت ، بدون تاريخ.

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 90.12.01f)

تعاونية كريمري (تأسست عام 1895) ، ستانوود ، بدون تاريخ.

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 86.08.98.01)

عمال شركة ستانوود للأخشاب ، ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1910

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 96.25.10)

كتلة تجارية تتجه شرقاً نحو مسارات السكك الحديدية ، 271st Avenue NW ، شرق ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1906

بإذن من جمعية منطقة ستانوود التاريخية (SAHS 88.06.143.05)

مبنى اتحاد الشعب (1904) ، أصبح الآن "Granery" ، ستانوود ، بدون تاريخ.

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 93.113.01v)

تم وضع أول شوارع من الطوب في مقاطعة سنوهوميش ، باتجاه الغرب من مجمع الأعمال ، شرق ستانوود ، 1913

المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 96.26.11)

مكثف (الآن North Star Cold Storage) يطل على سهل الفيضان وخليج Skagit في المسافة ، شرق ستانوود ، 1913

تصوير جولين ، بإذن من جمعية منطقة ستانوود التاريخية (SAHS 88.06.284.01)

شارع السوق (باتجاه الشمال) أثناء الفيضانات ، ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1909

تصوير جون تي واغنيس ، المجتمع التاريخي لمنطقة ستانوود (SAHS 93.87.13)

شركة ويسكونسن للأخشاب (لاحقًا كلاف ميل) فم إيرفين سلو ، ستانوود ، كاليفورنيا. 1917


تاريخنا

بدأت خدمات كبار السن في كامانو قبل فترة طويلة من تشكيل جمعية خدمات كبار السن في كامانو (CSSA).

في خريف عام 1972 ، أصبحت مشكلة الخدمات لكبار السن في جزيرة كامانو حادة. في ذلك الوقت ، تم تنظيم مركز Camwood Senior Center (المعروف الآن باسم مركز Stanwood Senior) لكبار السن في Camano و Stanwood. كانت خدمات قليلة متاحة في الواقع كان أقرب موقع للوجبات في أرلينغتون. اعترض العديد من كبار السن في كامانو على الرحلة الطويلة للاستفادة من برنامج التغذية والخدمات الأخرى. سعى مفوضو مقاطعة سنوهوميش ومقاطعة آيلاند إلى تجميع جهودهم للمساعدة في حل هذه المشكلة. تمت كتابة منحة ، وفي يناير من عام 1973 ، بدأت الخدمات العليا في مقاطعة آيلاند (SSIC) في توفير برنامج التغذية في كاموود. تم تحضير الوجبات في Camano Inn الواقع في كامانو بسعر 532 ريال سعودي (المعروف لاحقًا باسم Shipwreck Bar and Grill ، والذي تم هدمه منذ ذلك الحين). تم تسليم الوجبات (من قبل المدير السابق والمتطوعين) إلى Camwood Senior Center و Camano City Fire Hall يوم الأربعاء ، إلى Camano Country Club Fire Station وكنيسة Camano Lutheran Church أيام الثلاثاء وقاعة Utsalady Ladies Aid Hall أيام الخميس.

تم نسج تاريخ مركز كامانو في موضوع مشترك يتمثل في إدراك الجيران أن هناك احتياجات أساسية غير ملباة في المجتمع وإيجاد طرق لتلبية هذه الاحتياجات. فيما يلي ملخص سريع للمعالم من ماضي المركز.

1972، أقرب خدمة وجبات لكبار السن موجودة في أرلينغتون. تم تنظيم مركز كاموود لكبار السن (المعروف الآن باسم مركز ستانوود للكبار) لتقديم وجبات الطعام لكبار السن في كامانو وستانوود.

1973بدأت خدمات كبار السن في مقاطعة الجزيرة (SSIC) في تقديم برنامج التغذية ، حيث يتم توصيل الوجبات إلى عدة مواقع في الجزيرة.

1974 ينتقل برنامج التغذية إلى جزيرة كامانو التي تشغل مساحة مستأجرة في كامانو بلازا.

1978 افتتاح "المبنى الأزرق" ، حاليًا مركز كامانو متعدد الأغراض. كان المبنى يضم ليس فقط برنامج التغذية ، ولكن الوكالات الأخرى التي تقدم الخدمات الصحية والبشرية.

1982 تم تأسيس جمعية Camano Senior Services Association (CSSA) "لتوفير الأنشطة الاجتماعية والاقتصادية والتعليمية والترفيهية وغيرها من الأنشطة لصالح الأشخاص المتقاعدين المقيمين في جزيرة كامانو". قدمت 100٪ من تكاليف تشغيل المركز.

1982 يفتح متجر Chance Thrift Shop الثاني في مبنى Camano Yacht Club الحالي.

1985 تنتقل الفرصة الثانية إلى موقعها الحالي على الطريق السريع 532.

1987 تم تعيين لجنة لدراسة جدوى التوسع.

1987 تشتري CSSA قطعة أرض مساحتها 18.2 فدانًا على طريق Arrowhead.

1989 يمدد المركز ساعات عمل لمدة خمسة أيام في الأسبوع استجابة للطلب المتزايد.

1989 تدعو الخطة الإستراتيجية إلى إنشاء مركز كبير مستقل بحلول عام 2005.

1999 تبيع CSSA 13 فدانًا من عقار Arrowhead إلى منطقة مدارس Stanwood-Camano.

2000 يبدأ البناء في مركز كبار السن والمجتمع الجديد.

2001 المبنى الجديد مفتوح للجمهور.

2008 يمد المركز ساعات عمله إلى الساعة الثامنة مساءً أربعة أيام في الأسبوع.

2011 تم تغيير اسم Camano Senior and Community Centre إلى مركز Camano لجذب الأعضاء الأصغر سنًا في المجتمع.

2013 هدية كبيرة من ملكية باتريشيا هارتلي تسمح للمركز بسداد الرهن العقاري.

2014 يضيف المركز ساعات عمل يوم السبت ويتم إنشاء حديقة Legacy لتكريم المتبرعين.

2015 انتهاء تمويل مقاطعة الجزيرة. المركز ممول ذاتيًا بنسبة 100٪ للمرة الثانية.

2015 تم إطلاق حملة رأس المال لتوسيع متجر التوفير.

2016 يبدأ مجلس الإدارة عملية التخطيط الاستراتيجي التي تستغرق عدة أشهر والتي تتضمن إنشاء بيان مهمة جديد.

2017 ينتقل متجر Chance Thrift الثاني إلى المبنى الجديد.

2018 يقوم المركز بتوسيع برنامج العطاء الرئيسي الخاص به من خلال إنشاء صندوق الوقف.


HistoryLink.org

تم إنشاء مقاطعة آيلاند ، وهي ثامن أقدم مقاطعة في واشنطن ، في 6 يناير 1853 ، من قبل الهيئة التشريعية الإقليمية في ولاية أوريغون من جزء من مقاطعة ثورستون وسميت على اسم عدد لا يحصى من الجزر في شمال غرب واشنطن. شملت في الأصل مقاطعات سنوهوميش وسكاجيت وواتكوم وسان خوان. في الوقت الحالي ، تتكون مقاطعة Island من جزيرتين كبيرتين فقط ، هما Whidbey و Camano ، وست جزر صغيرة غير مأهولة: جزيرة سميث إلى الغرب ، وجزر الخداع والممر في Deception Pass ، وجزر Ben Ure ، و Strawberry ، و Baby في ممر ساراتوجا. اكتشف الكابتن جورج فانكوفر (1758-1798) المنطقة التي تضم مقاطعة الجزيرة لأول مرة خلال ربيع عام 1792. تبلغ مساحة المقاطعة 517 ميلاً مربعاً 208.4 ميلاً مربعاً من الأرض و 309 ميلاً مربعاً من المياه. من حيث المساحة ، فهي ثاني أصغر مقاطعة في واشنطن. يحدها من الشمال ممر ديسبشن ، ومن الجنوب بوجيه ساوند ، ومن الشرق خليج سكاجيت وممر ساراتوجا ، ومن الغرب خليج الأميرالية ومضيق خوان دي فوكا. وفقًا لتعداد الولايات المتحدة لعام 2000 ، كان عدد سكان مقاطعة الجزيرة 71،558 22،477 نسمة يعيشون في مدن وبلدات مدمجة و 49،081 يعيشون في مناطق غير مدمجة. مقر المقاطعة هو مدينة Coupeville التاريخية في Whidbey Island.

مجتمعات ساحل ساليش

لآلاف السنين ، كان الساكنون الوحيدون في شمال غرب المحيط الهادئ هم الهنود الذين عاشوا في منازل طويلة جماعية كبيرة تعيش على الأسماك والمحار والطرائد البرية وكذلك الجذور والتوت. احتلت جزر ويدبي وكامانو ، وكذلك جزر سان خوان ، من قبل عدة مجموعات من هنود ساليش الساحلية بما في ذلك سكاجيت ، وسنوهوميش ، وعدد صغير من كلامالام. باستثناء الحروب الدورية مع القبائل الهندية الأخرى ، كانت الحياة هادئة نسبيًا لعدة قرون.

في أواخر القرن الثامن عشر وأوائل القرن التاسع عشر ، تم القضاء على السكان الهنود بسبب الأمراض التي تنتقل عن طريق الاتصال بمستكشفين أوروبيين وأمريكيين. في بعض المناطق قتلت الدفتريا والجدري والحصبة 90٪ من الهنود. بحلول الوقت الذي وصل فيه المستوطنون غير الهنود ، كان عدد سكان بعض القبائل المحلية بضع مئات فقط وكانوا مستنفدين لدرجة أنهم لم يتمكنوا من مقاومة المتسللين بشكل فعال.

جزيرة ويدبي

جزيرة Whidbey ، التي تشكل الجزء الغربي من مقاطعة Island ، تم تسميتها في 10 يونيو 1792 من قبل الكابتن فانكوفر لجوزيف ويدبي (1755-1833) ، ماجستير في HMS اكتشاف، الذين أثبتوا أنها جزيرة باكتشاف ممر الخداع. كما كان أول مستكشف غير هندي موثق يطأ قدمه على الجزيرة ، حيث هبط في بنس كوف بالقرب من ما كان سيصبح كوبفيل. كان اسم السكان الهنود للجزيرة هو Tscha-kole-chy.

جزيرة Whidbey ، أكبر جزيرة في Puget Sound ، يبلغ طولها حوالي 45 ميلاً وعرضها 10 أميال في أوسع نقطة لها وميل ونصف في أضيقها. تضم الجزيرة خمس حدائق حكومية وثماني بحيرات كبيرة و 200 ميل من الخط الساحلي. تقسم أعناق الأرض الضيقة في Penn’s Cove و Holmes Harbour على ممر ساراتوجا الجزيرة إلى ثلاث مناطق متميزة يشار إليها باسم الشمال والوسط وجنوب ويدبي. يربط State Route 20 جزيرة Whidbey بالبر الرئيسي غرب Anacortes عبر ممر Deception Pass وجسور Canoe Pass ومنصف Deception Pass State Park ، منتزه تخييم وتخييم بمساحة 4،134 فدانًا يشمل الطرف الشمالي لجزيرة Whidbey. تم تمويل الجسور بتمويل من إدارة الأشغال العامة الفيدرالية وإدارة الإغاثة في حالات الطوارئ بواشنطن ، إلى جانب أموال المقاطعة ، وتم تخصيصها في 31 يوليو 1935. تم تحسين الحديقة المحيطة من خلال عمل فيلق الحماية المدنية. يتم الوصول إلى الجزيرة أيضًا من خلال طريقين فيري ولاية واشنطن: موكيلتيو - كلينتون وبورت تاونسند - كوبفيل (المعروف سابقًا باسم "بورت تاونسند-كيستون" للمجتمع غير المؤسسي على الجانب الغربي من الجزيرة ، على بعد حوالي خمسة أميال من مدينة كوبفيل ، حيث تقع المحطة). وفقًا لمكتب الإحصاء الأمريكي ، في عام 2000 ، كان عدد سكان جزيرة ويدبي 58211.

أول مستوطن في جزيرة ويدبي كان توماس دبليو جلاسكو ، وهو مزارع ، قدم مطالبة بأرض على ما كان سيصبح مرج إيبي في عام 1848. وكان غلاسكو متزوجًا من جوليا ، ابنة باتكانيم ، رئيس قبيلة سنوهوميش. بعد تقديم مطالبته في أوليمبيا ، عاد جلاسكو وصديقه ، إيه بي رابيسون ، إلى الجزيرة ووجدوا ما يقرب من 8000 هندي من عدة قبائل شمال غرب المحيط الهادئ نزلوا في بنس كوف. وقالت جوليا إن الهنود اجتمعوا في مجلس كبير لمناقشة توغل المستوطنين القادمين في مناطق الصيد وصيد الأسماك التقليدية. اقترحت أن يغادر غلاسكو ورابيسون لأن حياتهم كانت في خطر. في وقت لاحق ، انضمت جوليا إلى غلاسكو في أولمبيا حيث تم إضفاء الطابع الرسمي على زواجهما وتربية عائلة. لم يعود جلاسكو أبدًا إلى جزيرة ويدبي.

قانون التبرع بالأرض

في 27 سبتمبر 1850 ، أقر الكونجرس قانون ولاية أوريغون للتبرع بالأراضي ، ومنح "تبرعًا" بأرض مجانية - 320 فدانًا لكل رجل و 640 فدانًا لكل زوجين - لأي شخص استقر على الأرض قبل 1 ديسمبر. من ذلك العام. كان الكولونيل إسحاق نيف إيبي (1818-1857) أول رجل رفع دعوى على مساحة 640 فدانًا في وسط جزيرة ويدبي في 15 أكتوبر 1850. وقد تم إحياء ذكرى الأرض الواقعة على الشاطئ الغربي جنوب بنس كوف مباشرة في التاريخ مثل Ebey's Landing و Ebey's Prairie. وتقدم مستوطنون آخرون ، معظمهم من أفراد العائلة والأصدقاء ، بطلبات في المنطقة بعد ذلك بوقت قصير.

قاموا بتحويل الطمي الأسود الغني في البراري إلى مزارع ، وزرعوا القمح والشوفان والبطاطس ، وبعض الأغنام التي تربى. كما انخرط المستوطنون في قطع الأشجار. تم بيع أشجار البلوط لأسطح السفن والألواح الخشبية ، وشجرة دوغلاس الطويلة المستقيمة للصواري والصواري. Coveland ، مستوطنة صغيرة على رأس Penn's Cove ، كانت بمثابة مقر مقاطعة Island (1853-1881) ووفرت أول مركز تجاري للجزيرة ، افتتحه الكابتن بنيامين بارستو في عام 1853. غير الاسم إلى San de Fuca ، الذي تم اختياره بسبب قربه من مضيق Juan de Fuca.

كان العقيد إيبي ناشطًا في السياسة وشغل العديد من المناصب العامة. في عام 1852 ، شغل منصب ممثل من مقاطعة ثورستون في الجمعية التشريعية لإقليم أوريغون وكان له دور فعال في تشكيل مقاطعات آيلاند وجيفرسون وبيرس وكينغ. في عام 1853 ، تم تعيين إيبي كأول قاضي صلح في مقاطعة آيلاند وعمل أيضًا قاضيًا للوصايا. في نفس العام ، عين الرئيس فرانكلين بيرس (1804-1869) إيبي جامعًا للجمارك لمنطقة بوجيت ساوند. نقل Ebey على الفور دائرة الجمارك من أولمبيا إلى بورت تاونسند. خلال الحروب الهندية (1855-1856) ، تولى قيادة مجموعة من المتطوعين الإقليميين بواشنطن.

في 11 أغسطس 1857 ، تم إطلاق النار على Ebey وقطع رأسه في منزله في Whidbey Island من قبل مجموعة من Haida Indians الذين اعتقدوا أنه كان Tyee أو زعيم المستوطنين الجدد. كان القتل للانتقام لمقتل Tyee و 27 هنديًا قتلوا في Port Gamble في نوفمبر 1856 خلال معركة مع USS ماساتشوستس.

تقع مدينة Coupeville على الشاطئ الجنوبي لـ Penn’s Cove ، وهي أقدم مدينة في Whidbey Island وفي مقاطعة Island County. أسسها قبطان اللحاء توماس كوبيه (1818-1875) النجاح، الذي وصل إلى Puget Sound في عام 1852 وقدم مطالبة بأرض تبرع بها 320 فدانًا على الموقع. الكابتن كوبيه هو الرجل الوحيد المعروف أنه أبحر بسفينة شراعية مربعة الشكل من خلال ممر الخداع الغادر.

تأسست المدينة في أوائل خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر بعد أن قرر العديد من قباطنة البحر الذين كانوا يبحرون في مياه بوجيه ساوند التقاعد هناك ، وقدموا مطالبات بالتبرع بالأرض. يقع Coupeville في موقع مثالي في وسط جزيرة Whidbey على الجانب الآخر من Port Townsend المزدهر ، وازدهر ونما. حلت المدينة محل كوفيلاند كمقر للمقاطعة في عام 1881 وتم دمجها في أواخر أبريل عام 1910. ورد أن الاسم الهندي لكويفيل هو P't-sa-tl-y ، مما يعني "سلة الثعابين". وفقًا لتعداد الولايات المتحدة لعام 2000 ، كان عدد سكان كوبفيل 1723.

Fort Ebey و Fort Casey

يقع Fort Ebey مباشرة غرب Coupeville ، في Pigeon Point ، الذي بناه قيادة Harbour Defense خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية (1941-1945) للمساعدة في حماية القواعد العسكرية حول Puget Sound. إلى جانب مواقع المدافع ، كان أيضًا موقعًا رادارًا مهمًا. استحوذت الدولة على هذه الملكية في عام 1968 وأصبحت حديقة Fort Ebey State Park ، وهي أرض تخييم تبلغ مساحتها 645 فدانًا مع ثلاثة أميال من شواطئ المياه المالحة ، في عام 1981.

أربعة أميال جنوب كوبفيل ، على الأميرالية هيد ، هو فورت كيسي ، التي بناها الجيش الأمريكي في مطلع القرن العشرين. تم تفعيل هذا التحصين المهيب في عام 1901 ، وكان أحد حصون المدفعية الساحلية الثلاثة الرئيسية التي تم بناؤها لحماية Puget Sound من الغزو عن طريق البحر. جنبا إلى جنب مع Fort Flagler في جزيرة Marrowstone ، و Fort Worden في Point Wilson ، شكلت الحصون الثلاثة "مثلث النار" الذي من شأنه أن يدمر أي سفينة معادية تحاول دخول Admiralty Inlet. Together, these fortifications constituted the heart of the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound. Fort Casey is also home to the beautiful Admiralty Head Lighthouse, built in 1903.

The Department of Defense deactivated Fort Casey in 1953 and transferred the property to General Services Administration for disposal. In 1955, Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission acquired 100 acres of Fort Casey’s battery area for use as a state park and historical monument. Seattle Pacific University purchased 87 acres, which included most of the fort’s administrative buildings and housing, to create the Camp Casey Conference Center. The present Fort Casey State Park, which includes the Keystone Spit area, was acquired between 1955 and 1988 in three parcels, at a total cost of $300,000.

On December 12, 1973, the National Park Service listed Central Whidbey Island (also known as Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve) on the National Register as a Historic District (listing No. 73001869). The Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation also listed the district on the Washington Heritage Register (listing No. 004). In 1980, Fort Ebey and Fort Casey State Parks, including the Admiralty Head Lighthouse, were incorporated into the listings. Today, the Central Whidbey Island Historic District, stretching roughly six miles on either side of Coupeville, and encompassing approximately 25 square miles, is one of the largest historic districts in the country, and has more than 100 structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Oak Harbor is located on the east shore of North Whidbey Island, about 10 miles north of Coupeville. It was named by Dr. Richard H. Landsdale, an early settler on Penn’s Cove, for the many large oak trees (including Garry oaks) in the vicinity, an unusual feature in this part of the state. The Indian name for the Oak Harbor/Crescent Harbor area was Kla-tole-tsche. The settlement was founded by three veterans of the California Gold Rush: Zakarias Martin Taftezon (1821-1901), Ulrich Freund, and Clement W. "Charlie" Sumner They came from Olympia by Indian canoe, looking for land. They landed on the western shore of Crescent Harbor and, after seeing the empty fertile prairie, returned to Olympia, filing Donation Land Claims on January 4, 1851.

In the 1850s, Irish immigrants began to settle in the Oak Harbor area, followed by Dutch immigrants in the 1890s. The town of Oak Harbor was officially incorporated on May 14, 1915. In July 1920, the “Oak Harbor Fire” destroyed much of the town. The town struggled through the Great Depression (1929-1939) until 1941 when the U.S. Navy arrived to build an air base. Suddenly Oak Harbor, a quiet farming community of some 650 inhabitants, was transformed into a boomtown as thousands of construction workers and naval personnel arrived in the area. The number of active duty military personnel in Island County, excluding dependents, stays relatively constant, at about 6,000 to 7,000. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Oak Harbor, the largest city in Island County, had a population of 19,795.

North Whidbey Island was essentially a rural, agricultural community until January 17, 1941, when the U.S. Navy decided to build a seaplane base for rearming and refueling navy PBY Catalinas in defense of Puget Sound. The commander of Naval Air Station Sand Point in Seattle recommended Crescent Harbor and Forbes Point on the shores of Saratoga Passage as suitable for seaplane takeoffs and landings under instrument conditions. The site, near the town of Oak Harbor, was protected, the weather was usually good, and it was seldom foggy.

In November 1941, the navy also decided to build an airport for land-based airplanes. The topographic survey team chose Clover Valley, approximately four miles north of Oak Harbor. It was tailor-made for a landing field: level, well drained, and accessible from any approach. The area was strategically located to guard the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the entrance to Puget Sound. Also, the population was sparse, allowing the base plenty of room to grow.

After the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, work on the naval bases began in earnest and concluded in record time. The actual construction of the field began on March 1, 1942, and the first plane, a single-engine SNJ trainer, piloted by Lieutenant Newton Wakefield, landed there on August 5, 1942. Naval Air Station Whidbey Island was commissioned on September 21, 1942. A year later, on September 25, 1943, the airfield was named Ault Field, in memory of Commander William B. Ault, missing in action in the Battle of the Coral Sea. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Ault Field had a population of 2,064.

Freeland is located at the head of Holmes Harbor in South Whidbey Island, 17 south of Coupeville. The site was platted in the 1800s by real estate promoters who called it St. Louis, but no town resulted. At one brief period the area was called Newell, which was the name of the nearest post office. The town was named for the Free Land Association, a group of socialists from South Dakota who intended to make land available to its members practically free of cost, paid for through cooperative enterprises. On January 12, 1899, George Washington Daniels, Henry L. Stevens, and Henry A. White formed the Free Land Association, and on December 29, 1900, Daniels platted a town made up of five-acre lots. It was intended that all the members of Freeland work for the common good, but the settlement failed to coalesce as a socialist community and the Free Land Association went bankrupt in 1920. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Freeland had a population 1,313.

Perhaps, the most interesting event involving Freeland in the early days was a proposal to build a canal one-and-a-half-miles across South Whidbey Island. In the early 1900s, a venture capital group known as The Pennsylvania Syndicate, took options on nearly ten thousand acres of land between Holmes Harbor and Mutiny Bay on Admiralty Inlet. Their plan was to construct parallel train tracks and a sea-level, salt-water canal to allow ships and barges to be towed between Saratoga Passage and Admiralty Inlet, saving a trip around Possession Point. But anyone familiar with the area knew the savings in time and effort would be negligible and the project was abandoned.

Langley and Clinton

Langley is a small town on Saratoga Passage, approximately 10 miles east of Freeland on South Whidbey Island. The town was platted by Jacob Anthes in 1890 and named for Judge James Weston Langley (1836-1915), a partner in the Langley Land and Improvement Company. A post office was established in 1891 with Anthes as postmaster. Langley, which called itself “The Hub of the Island,” incorporated on February 26, 1913. The town supplied the outlying farmers with mail and dry goods, and was the terminus of steamer Camano, which sailed to Everett and Seattle.

In the 1900s South Whidbey Island was a popular summer destination and many of the Langley homes took in summer boarders. Logging and agriculture -- primarily truck gardens, fruits and berries -- were South Whidbey Island’s principal industries. A large commercial cannery was built at Langley that supplied the Puget Sound region with canned fruits and vegetables. The Island County Fair, established in 1924, is held in Langley every August. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Langley had a population of 959.

Clinton, another small town, is located on a high bluff overlooking Saratoga Passage, approximately six miles south of Langley. It was named for Clinton County, Michigan, by Edward C. Hinman, a Civil War veteran, who came from there in 1883, filing a timber claim. He built a hotel and a dock, supplying steamships with wood and water. The original landing and nearby post office was called Phinney, after John G. Phinney, an early settler. In 1885, the post office was moved to the Clinton Union Store and, in 1892, renamed the Clinton Post Office. Edward Hinman served as postmaster from 1885 to 1896 and his brother, Henry, from 1898 to 1903. Like other small communities in the area, Clinton’s economy depended primarily on logging, fishing, and farming. In the 1900s, touring became popular and the community received its fair share of tourists, campers, and summer dwellers. Because of the easy ferry commute between Clinton and Mukilteo, South Whidbey Island has become a minor bedroom community for Seattle and Everett, where the Boeing aircraft assembly plant is located. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Clinton had a population 868.

Camano Island

Camano Island lies between Whidbey Island and the mainland of Snohomish County. The island, approximately 18 miles long, seven miles across at its widest point and less than one mile at its narrowest, has a total area of 39.8 square miles. It is connected to the mainland, two miles west of Stanwood, by the Mark C. Clark Memorial Bridge (State Route 532) across West Pass and Davis Slough, which is dry at low tides. Mark C. Clark (1896-1984) was a commanding general in the U.S. Army during World War II (1941-1945) and the Korean War (1950-1953). He had property on Camano Island and was there with his wife in the late 1940s when the bridge was being planned.

The earliest inhabitants of Camano Island were the Kikalos and Snohomish Indians who used the island during the summer while gathering seafood and berries. Their name for the island was reported as Kal-lut-chin, meaning "land jutting into a bay." The island was charted in 1841 by the Wilkes expedition as "McDonough’s Island” in honor of Master Commandant Thomas McDonough, captain of the USS Saratoga during the War of 1812. In 1847, Captain Kellett of the British Navy, in his effort to restore Spanish names to the area, renamed it Camano Island in honor of Spanish explorer Lieutenant Don Jacinto Camano. In the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty with 22 Puget Sound Indian tribes, Washington Territorial Governor Isaac Ingalls Stevens (1818-1862) referred to the island as Perry Island and local loggers, for no particular reason, called it Crow Island. But eventually the name Camano came into common use.

The first settlers came to Camano Island in 1855, filing timber claims. The island was densely forested with stands of tall, straight Douglas-firs perfect for masts and spars. Utsalady, on Utsalady Bay at the northern tip of the island, was the site of a shipyard and one of the largest sawmills on Puget Sound, founded in 1858 by Whidbey Island pioneers Thomas Cranney and Lawrence Grennan. "Utsalady" was a distortion of an Indian word also rendered as "Uts-ollaie," and said to mean "place of berries." After Grennan died in 1869, Cranney operated the mill alone until 1876, then sold it to Pope and Talbot’s Puget Mill Company. When a depression hit the United States in 1890, market gluts and poor prices caused the sawmill to close. The machinery was moved to Pope and Talbot’s mills at Port Gamble and Port Ludlow. Later farmers came and removed the stumps and developed the island agriculturally.

There were no towns on Camano Island, but steamboats serviced the small communities of Camano City and Mabana. A horse-drawn ferry operated between the island and Stanwood until a bridge was built in 1909. In the 1920s, tourism became popular and several auto-camps were established, followed by more elaborate resorts that rented cabins, boats, and fishing gear. In 1949, Washington State Parks and Recreation developed 134 acres of land on the west side of Camano Island, overlooking Saratoga Passage, for use as a state park. Today (2005) Camano Island is entirely a farming and residential community, well-known for its production of fruits and berries. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Camano Island had a population 13,347.

Steamers and Car Ferries

In the early years, sailing ships and small steamers serviced Whidbey Island haphazardly. In 1906, Coupeville resident Captain Howard B. Lovejoy purchased the sternwheeler Fairhaven and ran on a schedule between Penn’s Cove and Seattle with stops at points on South Whidbey Island. In 1911, Lovejoy founded the Island Transportation Company, adding the steamers Atlanta, Clatawa, Calista, و Camano, and the community of Port Townsend to the scheduled service. Lovejoy’s company merged with the Sound Ferry Line, becoming the Whidbey Island Transportation Company.

Car ferries entered the picture in 1919, with the growing popularity of automobile touring. The first ferry in Island County especially designed to carry automobiles was the Whidbey I, operated by the Central Ferry Company between Clinton and Mukilteo. Then the car ferry Central I, was added, running between Clinton and Everett. The Whidbey Island Transportation Company soon entered into direct competition, running car ferries between Langley, Clinton, and Everett. In 1927, the Puget Sound Navigation Company, doing business as the Black Ball Line, bought out all the minor steamship companies servicing Island County, establishing its own routes and schedules. The Black Ball Line operated ferry service until 1951, when it was purchased by Washington State Ferries.

Island Economy

Today (2005) nearly 88 percent of all economic activity in Island County is directly and indirectly linked to the navy’s presence, which includes employment, payrolls, retiree pensions, health care, and purchases of goods and services from local vendors. The base employs more than 10,000 workers, constituting 68 percent of Island County’s total employment. The annual payroll earned by military and civilian workers is $399.1 million, constituting 52 percent of the county’s labor earnings. In addition, the school districts in Island County receive $4.5 million annually as compensation for schooling the dependents of service personnel.

Other important economic activities in the county are farming, fishing, tourism, real estate, and construction, which accounts for the largest percentage of retail sales. Buying property and building vacation homes on the islands has become exceedingly popular. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, between 1900 and 2000, Island County’s population grew from 1,870 to 71,558, an increase of 97.3 percent. Between 2000 and 2004, the county’s population increased 10.8 percent, to 79,293, a trend in growth predicted to continue. Many retired and self-employed people move to the county, attracted by the mild weather, beautiful scenery, recreational opportunities, rural settings, and a lower cost-of-living.

The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation

Deception Pass Bridge, 1930s

Oak Harbor Wharf, Whidbey Island, ca. 1905

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. WAS0714)

Colonel Isaac Neff Ebey (1818-1857)

Skagit canoes near Coupeville, 1895

مكتبة الكونغرس مجاملة

Jersey cattle, Bash Farm, Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, ca. 1895

Photo by D.R. Judkins, Courtesy UW Special Collections (WAS0499)

Oak Harbor, 1930s

Coupeville, 1930s

Blockhouse, Whidbey Island, 1940s

Maple Grove, Camano Island, 1950s

Ferry dock, Columbia Beach, Clinton, 1950s

Whid-Isle Inn (later The Captain Whidbey Inn), Penn Cove, Whidbey Island, 1950s


یواس‌اس کامانو (ای‌جی-۱۳۰)

یواس‌اس کامانو (ای‌جی-۱۳۰) (به انگلیسی: USS Camano (AG-130) ) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۱۷۷ فوت (۵۴ متر) بود. على مدار الساعة.

یواس‌اس کامانو (ای‌جی-۱۳۰)
پیشینه
مالک
نام‌گذاری: ایالت واشینگتن
مشخصات اصلی
وزن: 550 tons
درازا: ۱۷۷ فوت (۵۴ متر)
پهنا: ۳۳ فوت (۱۰ متر)
آبخور: 10 ft
سرعت: 12 عقدة

این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. می‌توانید باو گسترش آن به ویکی‌پدیا کمک کنید.


  • Take a drive and listen to our new Audio Tour on your phone! This is a great way to to see the historic sites in person and learn interesting facts and stories along the way!
  • Watch our Video Toursof historic homes, schools, churches, barns and parks online from the comfort of your own living room!

Learn more about the Historic Sites on the Tour and find handy links to help you plan your trip to Stanwood and Camano Island when you come to experience the Audio Tour.

The annual Historic Sites Tour is a collaboration between volunteer organizations that are dedicated to preserving the history and community of Stanwood and Camano Island.


The strength of our leaders is reflected in the strength of our company. We&rsquore determined to uphold our founder&rsquos core values of integrity, quality, commitment, and innovation as we carry the legacy of John Deere leadership across our greater global communities.


Camano boats for sale

* This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.

Camano

Camano is a yacht builder that currently has 13 yachts for sale on YachtWorld, including 0 new vessels and 13 used yachts, listed by experienced yacht brokers mainly in the following countries: United States and Canada. Models currently listed on YachtWorld differ in size and length from 31 feet to 41 feet. Premiere models listed have motors up to an exceptional 500 horsepower, while affordable models for sale may have as low as 180 horsepower engines (although the average engine size across all of our current listings is 200 HP).

Type of yachts by Camano

This builder offers boat hull types including semi-displacement and other that are frequently used for traditional, time-honored boating pursuits such as overnight cruising. Camano equips models listed with inboard and inboard/outboard drive power options, available with diesel propulsion systems.

Often admired and relied upon for their Trawler and Cruisers, the Camano boats listed generally have a medium-depth draft and beam, qualities that make them popular and a great option for overnight cruising.

How much do Camano boats cost?

Camano boats for sale on YachtWorld are available for an assortment of prices from $78,228 on the moderate end of the spectrum, with costs all the way up to $420,424 for the highly-specialized, bespoke models.

What Camano model is the best?

Some of the most iconic Camano models currently listed include: Troll, 31, 31 Troll, 41 and Troll 31. Various Camano models are currently offered for sale by specialized yacht brokers, dealers and brokerages on YachtWorld, with listings ranging from 1995 year models up to 2006.


Camano Island State Park

Close to Seattle but a world away, Camano Island State Park offers a mellow, less bustling, but equally friendly alternative to its busier neighbor, Cama Beach State Park.

Forest loop trails provide cool, tranquil hiking, while shoreline strolls offer birding, shell and rock exploration and sweeping views of Puget Sound, Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier.

Are you happiest in or on the water? Go boating, crabbing, saltwater fishing and sailboarding in Saratoga Passage. Curious about the restored 1930's fishing resort at Cama Beach? Hike the 1-mile trail to check out this neighboring state park.

After a fun day exploring the trails or cavorting in the water, you will probably want to kick back in your forested cabin, pitch your tent or get cozy in your RV. There, you can cook up the delicious crab you have caught, or your dinner of choice, and enjoy a bit of sublime R and R before heading back to the world.


Camano 31 Troll

Kurt Reynolds spent 24 years in the Navy, logging thousands of miles underwater as a submariner. It was an exciting life, performing a highly specialized mission in the technological marvel that is the modern sub.

“I probably have more miles under the water than most have on top of the water,” Reynolds says. “Or on land, for that matter.”

Not long ago, the 52-year-old information technology professional from Manteo, N.C., took on a different mission: exploring the coastal waters of his native North Carolina — on the water, not under — with his wife, Joanne. And instead of a submarine, they’ve used a 31-foot pocket trawler, the Canadian-built Camano Troll.

“I love the water, love to cruise,” says Reynolds, who grew up boating on the Outer Banks. “There’s nothing like a slow, quiet cruise on an isolated waterway with family and friends.”

Reynolds has owned a variety of boats over the years, from a boyhood 12-foot skiff to a 27-foot sloop to a 40-foot trawler, which he sold in 2005. When he started looking around for a boat to replace the big trawler a few years ago, he was drawn back to the type — but in a smaller size. He and his wife wanted a boat that could double as a comfortable cruiser for two and as a day boat for picnics and outings with family and friends.

Reynolds learned about the Camano online as he visited local broker websites, along with the bigger networks. With its size, amenities and single-engine economy, it stood out. The first Camano he found was close by, but the price wasn’t right. “So we expanded our search,” he says.

He found a 2002 Camano Troll in Deltaville, Md., and working with Annapolis Yacht Sales (www.annapolisyachtsales.com), he closed on a deal for a $100,000 purchase price. The trawler was in good condition. 𠇊s close to new as a 10-year-old boat could be,” Reynolds says, requiring only a cleaning, new batteries and an updated GPS/plotter.

𠇏or me, it’s about value and cost,” he says. “I got a good deal and a great value in the boat I bought.”

Power comes from a 210-hp Volvo diesel, and Reynolds cruises at 8 to 9 mph, with a top end of about 13 to 15 mph. “I am a cruiser,” he says. “[I like] slow and easy, and looking forward to a cold drink from the poop deck in the evening.”

Reynolds, who’s qualified to drive ships larger than 1,000 feet and 100,000 tons, admires the pocket trawler’s handling. 𠇌rossing Albemarle Sound north to south in a 20-knot north wind — actually crossing the Albemarle Sound in any wind — really tests your mustard,” he says. “She takes a sea well, not like a 50-ton Nordhavn but she is fuel-efficient and a great cruising boat for local waters.”

And that’s the mission: a summer of dayboating with friends and weeklong cruises for two. “The worst thing to have on a boat is a schedule,” Reynolds says.

With the versatile Camano, they can visit their favorite ports along the North Carolina coast — Columbia, Manteo, Coinjock — and “hang out with family and friends,” as Reynolds puts it. “Love the prime rib at Coinjock Marina restaurant … can’t be beat,” he adds. “It is always my first stop when heading south.”

Of course, there will be other boats. Reynolds has his eye on one of the big passagemakers — someday. But the 31-foot Camano Troll is a perfect fit for those looking to expand their cruising horizons. “[It’s made for] couples looking for a fuel-efficient overnight cruiser,” he says. “Lots of room, great driving from the flying bridge — and it won’t break your bank.”

The Powerboat Guide calls the Camano 31 “salty, efficient and surprisingly spacious.” Sold as the Camano 28 through 2002, the 31 Troll has a spacious interior featuring a large saloon with an L-shaped couch that converts to a berth and two standing chairs.

There is a lower helm to starboard with optional seating. The large trolley-style windows make the cabin light and airy. It is a step down to the C-shaped galley on the port side, equipped with a microwave, refrigerator and a three-burner cook top.

The compact head compartment is to starboard and comes with a marine head and a sink and a wand shower. The two-person stateroom is forward. There’s a large V-berth with shelf storage and a convenient hanging locker, along with an overhead hatch for ventilation.

The cockpit, with a transom door accessing the swim platform, is small, but the flybridge, reached by a ladder, has a helm station and additional seating. The wide side decks and sturdy rails are designed for working dock lines and moorings in safety.

Below the waterline, the displacement hull sports a full keel for stability and tracking. A bow thruster was standard equipment.

Vancouver naval architect Bob Warman founded the Camano brand in 1989 and ran the small builder before selling the company in 1997. The Camano 31 (sold as the Troll after 2002) earned a reputation as a spacious pocket trawler with a unique, efficient hull shape. The company underwent several changes in ownership, and the last 31 was built in 2011. Helmsman Trawlers of Seattle recently acquired the Camano name and tooling and now offers an updated 31. More than 250 boats were built by the original factory, making used models easy to find. Prices run from slightly less than $100,000 for early versions from the 1990s to $150,000 to $160,000 for late models.


شاهد الفيديو: C130 ASSAULT LANDING (شهر فبراير 2023).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos